Two Great Quotes From “The Doctor”

Dr.-D.-Martyn-Lloyd-Jones“We can put it this way–the man who has faith is the man who is no longer looking at himself and no longer looking to himself. He no longer looks at anything he once was. He does not look at what he is now. He does not even look at what he hopes to be as the result of his own efforts. He looks entirely to the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work, and rests on that alone. He stops saying, ‘Ah yes, I used to commit terrible sins but now I have done this and that.’ If he goes on saying that, he has not got faith. Faith speaks in an entirely different manner and makes a man say, ‘Yes I have sinned grievously, I have lived a life of sin, yet I know that I am a child of God because I am not resting on any righteousness of my own; my righteousness is in Jesus Christ and God has put that to my account.'” ~ D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“There is no better test as to whether a man is really preaching the New Testament gospel of salvation than the fact that some people might misunderstand it and misinterpret it to mean that it really amounts to this–that because you are saved by grace alone it does not matter at all what you do, that you can go on sinning as much as you like because it will abound all the more to the glory of grace. That is a very good test of gospel preaching. If my preaching and presentation of the gospel of salvation does not expose it to that misunderstanding, then it is not the gospel.” ~ D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

• Mike Sears says:

Written by a dear friend while in the midst of his losing battle with cancer… Met Christ during this battle…

Control

I pity the man who’s “in control”
    Trading faith for wisdom bold
    As nature gathers to unfold
    Gale forces mighty to behold

Relying on his cunning see
    To stay the storm upon the lee
    But all is fancy to believe
    From himself to find reprieve

He battens down the hatches tight
    Secures the sails from wayward flight
    And steers a course he thinks is right
    Knowing not his hopeless plight

And when the powers do unleash
    The waves upon him like a beast
    Crashing down with no relief
    Fractured now is his belief

Afloat no longer can he stay
    Control now lost and giving way
    To all that was to be dare say
    “What now?” he cries without delay

And in that moment does he find
    It’s faith he needs and just in time
    He pleads for mercy ever kind
    To save him from himself so blind

I envy the man who’s lost control
    His faith replacing wisdom bold
    And in the end his life unfolds
    Glory bound on streets of gold.

Joseph A. Hayes, III
    9/21/11

One of his last poem’s

Surrender
    This ol’ vessel has served me well
    From Mother’s womb we first set sail
    Through channels deep we rode the swell
    To smoother waters our journey’s tale

Many years we labored long
    Both hull and sails remaining strong
    Round every reef new wonders held
    Anchored down and again we sailed

But alas the hull grows weaker now
    The sails all torn, mast coming down
    Continue to fight the sounding seas
    Or to your Maker surrender thee?

Repairs we’ve made with courage true
    This trusty vessel all but through
    So now this sailor with gladdened heart
    Looks for rest as he departs

And with equal courage surrender be
    As noble as the fight thinks he
    To its Maker he returns
    His vessel from its bow to stern.

JAH
    7-30-12

• Vaclav Vasil says:

Excellent! Thanks for posting it, Tullian! If I may ask, which one of “Doctor’s” books or sermons are these quotes taken from?

• Sabrina Stolle says:

Thank you Pastor Tullian for these daily encouragements on grace towards the power of the Gospel. I’m exploring Liberate.org and feel like a child on a playground as I discover more and more freedom. Your teachings are a spring of fresh water and refreshment in the midst of lots of “try harder” and “step by step” sermons these days.

• Steve Martin says:

What a refreshing respite from the message of the ‘how-to’ preachers found in churchianity these days.

Thanks, Pastor.

• C. Russell says:

I’ve listened to your sermon on this very thing twice this week and have been both deeply convicted and encouraged both times I have listened to it. I think it may be a sermon I listen to again sometime today if I can find the chance. It is at the same time “half agony and half hope” being taught the vision of the free life and not being able to see it, perfectly, here and now.

• Mark says:

“What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?” (MIS-understanding)
    “By no means!” (emphatic correction)

We can only claim to preach a biblical gospel if we include the immediate and powerful rebuttal against the misunderstanding. If our teaching leaves only misunderstanding, then by definition true understanding is lacking. Our teaching correct such misunderstandings and also say “Do not be deceived, those who go on in sin will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Cor 6:9-10 paraphrased).

• Steve Martin says:

Here we go again…(it never ends, really)

“We are to consider ourselves dead to sin.” (Romans 6)

Get that?

We sin. Everyday. In ways large and small. And there’s no stopping it. Because we don’t want to stop it.

Get it?

But because of what Christ has done for (on the Cross and personally in our Baptisms (Romans 6)…we cannot sin.

There is no longer any consequences where God is concerned over our sin.

Yes…we pay a price down here. What else is new? That’s why this place and our lives look the way they do.

• Michelle says:

Efficacious Sacraments. They are your missing theological link. They are Gift. They are Mystery. In them are held together that which your theolgy can’t seem to reconcile. Where our perception can only see either/or, in them the Mystery is revealed to be both/and. There is no need to walk such a perilous line that seeks assurance over and above spiritual maturity.

• Steve Martin says:

Truth be told…none of us really ‘gets it’. Not like we should, anyway.

So we need to hear it…over and over and over again. All throughout our lives. “Faith comes by hearing…”

We are in a spiritual battle.

• Michelle says:

We are not supposed to get it. We are not capable of boxing God up. To think so is beyond pride. Faith comes by hearing but Life comes by eating. Eating that which is beyond all comprehension. Eating Mystery. John 6:53. pax Chrisiti

• Steve Martin says:

Don’t forget Baptism!

_____

We can understand how. We just have a big problem in believing it.

• Michelle says:

True. But the most scandalous grace is not God’s forgiveness of all sins repented of. No. The most scandalous grace is God’s command that we should gnaw on Him for eternal life. In a such a way that is more intimate than a nursing babe. Truly scandalous.

• […] Two From D. Martyn Lloyd Jones – Tullian Tchividjian quoting Martyn Lloyd Jones on the identity shaping-ness and absolute freedom of the gospel. […]

• Steve Martin says:

Indeed.

He wants us to have and to know His love and forgiveness ( Himself) so much…that He crams Himself down our throats.